Monday, August 23, 2010

Civil War cannons, biplanes, and NASCAR: Cheraw, SC Crit



I usually take about 15 minutes off of the time Google Maps gives me for trips. I'm not saying I drive fast, just that Google is wrong... always.

Ok, not always.

Saturday, Google Maps and my trusty Magellan GPS weren't in full agreement about the time-frame I was looking at for my drive to the All That Jazz Criterium. So, while I was sitting outside my favorite pre-race gas station punching in the start/finish address, I realized I had left about 30-45 minutes later than I should have.

About an hour into the drive, I had to hop off of the interstate. There's no better way to see your home state than at 55mph on a two lane highway. As previously mentioned, things you encounter when traveling through the small towns of South Carolina include: town centers featuring real-life Civil War cannons (it's cool to celebrate the time when the south rose up to fight those evil pro-abolition northerners, but no one better step out of line against the good ol' USA now-a-days!), crazy biplanes circling around Darlington (I tried to get a picture but driving seemed more important), and the holy land of NASCAR, Darlington International Super Speedway... well kinda, I didn't actually pass the race track, but I wish I did.

I got to Cheraw at about 1:30 for my 2:00 race. Tried to figure out where the hell registration was. Finished changing in the parking lot, got my bike together, tossed my license and money in my pocket, grabbed a bottle, left my keys on my driver's seat, and took off to register. I signed my waiver and filled out a short questionnaire (can't you see I'm late, lady?!), took a single lap around the course, and lined up to start.

Apparently, I was the riders' favorite at the start line. I was told by one rider that I had him beat by about 40lbs. I made sure to back up so everyone could see the guy lined up on my left, my personal favorite to take the glory.

I predicted (read it here: http://twitter.com/JBrstl/status/21753938048) that I would line up with 7 other people at my race. Well, I lined up with 6 other people. I can't change race dates around after they've been organized, but seriously three races within a reasonable driving distance is ridiculous. None of the Greenville guys are coming if there's a race in Greenville and none of the North Carolina guys are coming if there's a race in North Carolina.

Plus, just because there's fewer people to beat on the line, a smaller race is usually a harder one. There was no where to hide and every move that went, could have been the one that made the race.

However, despite it's small turnout (the race after mine, the Womens' Cat 4 had 4 riders in a race that paid 5 deep), the race was well done. Tons of volunteers, a lemonade stand and a sweet, 6 corner 1.3 mile course.

I went into the race with absolutely no expectations. I was in my last week of doing base training and haven't done a touch of intensity training. I was hoping to get used to riding in a group and working on my crit skills.

Right from the gun, the guy on my right on the mountain bike, wearing the Manchester United jersey went all out. I wasn't worried about it and neither was anybody else, we all started our race at our pace and he was brought back in the first corner.

It was the kid from Forest Acres who upped the pace early and went off the front. The group that I wanted to be in (the front group) all went after him. I had to chase, and chase hard. Since I showed up without any warm up, with the exception of a two hour ride that morning, my first few laps were a complete shock. I clawed back on after probably 2.5 laps of digging my guts out. True sisu.

Once I was back with the group, I settled in, took one turn at the front and tried to ride a smart race. The guy in front of me crossed wheels with another rider once and almost went down. Props to him for saving it and staying up.

Coming to the last few laps I knew the pace was going to go up, but I wanted to stay with the leaders (four of us now) until the end of the race. Nothing crazy happened. The kid from Forest Acres tried to go off the front. I put myself in a position to chase, but gladly watched as the Global Bike rider (my pre-race nod for the win) followed him instead.

I lost the race in the second to last corner. I just botched it whenever I went in two wide with the Forest Acres rider. I thought I might be able to bring them back on the short stretch and just ride the longest sprint of my life. Global Bike rider went into turn 6 in the ideal line, the guy behind him dove in deeper, and Forest Acres kid dove in EVEN DEEPER and slid out in the corner. The guy seriously slid from the gutter to the outside barrier, right in front of me. I grabbed a handful of brakes and went to the outside, watched the other two riders ride away from me, while I stepped onto a only-slightly-earned podium position. My dude from Global Bike took the two man sprint and, the best part, the Manchester United mountain bike guy finished fifth. Sweet.




The view on the ride home was pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment